We recognise the impact that communicable diseases can have on the health and well-being of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Our focus is on preventing the spread of infectious diseases and minimizing their impact through targeted strategies, education, and partnerships.The Public Health Team at AH&MRC is committed to assisting member services manage communicable diseases in their services which include:
- vaccine-preventable diseases
- sexually transmissible infections
- Arboviruses (transmitted by mosquitoes)
- Zoonotic diseases (caused by germs that spread between animals and people)
- Enteric diseases (intestinal diseases causing diarrhoea and vomiting)
For more information on communicable diseases, please see New South Wales Health’s website on infectious diseases.
Influenza, also known as the flu, is a highly contagious illness caused by the influenza virus.
The best way to avoid the flu is by getting the flu vaccine.
Flu shots are FREE for all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 6 months and over.
To find your nearest ACCHO, please see this link.
The AH&MRC has developed a number of resources designed to assist member services manage influenza in their community.
- Autumn Yarn up Link
- Reference guide for vaccinating for Practitioners
- Influenza Toolkit
- AHMRC Pandemic Toolkit
COVID-19 is a respiratory virus that is transmitted through close contact, either directly, or indirectly with infected respiratory droplets.
The AH&MRC strongly encourages all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to get the recommended doses of the COVID-19 vaccination for your age and individual health needs.
For more information on COVID-19 vaccines, please see this link (COVID-19 vaccination information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people | Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care).
The AH&MRC has developed a number of resources designed to assist member services manage COVID-19 in their community.
- Infection Control Manual
- Pre-existing resources from website: COVID-19 Resources » Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council of NSW (ahmrc.org.au)