Calling for Policy Health Reforms
AH&MRC Policy Team represents the views of Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs) in New South Wales. Our evidence-based policy papers, submissions and reports call on Governments to make legislative reform that embeds the pivotal role ACCHOs play in the delivery of the NSW health system.
We advocate for policy health reforms that will;
- Meet the needs of Aboriginal Communities in New South Wales.
- Deliver culturally safe health care services to help Aboriginal people live healthy lives now, and in the future.
- Reflect the collective views of the ACCHO Sector and promote genuine partnerships.
- Achieve positive policy reform based on evidence developed by Aboriginal people and communities.
Policy Advisory Group Meetings
Our Policy Advisory Group meetings welcome Chief Executive Officers or delegates from their Service, to share their views on important policy issues impacting the Aboriginal Community Controlled Sector, provide feedback on current priorities and review policy submissions developed by our Policy Team.
2021 Meeting Dates
- 2.00pm – 3.30pm on the 20th of October 2021.
- 2.00pm – 3.30pm on the 17th of November 2021.
Have Your Say!
We regularly consult with ACCHOs in NSW to provide everyone with the opportunity to get involved with important policy matters for our Sector. All Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations in NSW are invited to provide feedback on upcoming policy submissions including:
National Obesity Prevention Strategy – Department of Health (DoH)
- The DoH has released the draft National Obesity Prevention Strategy and is seeking feedback through an online survey. The AH&MRC is preparing a response to the draft strategy and invites Members to share their views by contacting our Policy Team here.
- More information about the Draft National Obesity Prevention Strategy is available here.
- Submissions close 3 November 2021.
Draft Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Genomics Health Guiding Principles and Summary – Department of Health (DoH)
- The DoH is seeking input and feedback for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Genomics Health Guiding Principles and the associated Guiding Principles Summary Document. The AH&MRC is preparing a response to these documents and invite Members to share their views by contacting our Policy Team here.
- More information about the Guiding Principles can be accessed here.
- Submissions close 27 October 2021.
National Agreement on Closing the Gap
We represent the ACCHOs Sector on Closing the Gap negotiations and are proud to be part of the Coalition of Peaks. We stand with a group of nearly 50 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders organisations delivering services to our people.
The National Agreement sets out a new way of working together between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and Governments to Close the Gap. It aims to address the health inequities that still exist between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Australians and is the first time a National Agreement about First Nations people has been negotiated in partnership with First Nations people.
Read the full National Agreement on Closing the Gap Report 2021.
Share your policy thoughts or ask us a question.