Calling for Policy Health Reforms
AH&MRC Policy Team represents the views of Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs) in New South Wales. Our evidence-based policy papers, submissions and reports call on Governments to make legislative reform that embeds the pivotal role ACCHOs play in the delivery of the NSW health system.
We advocate for policy health reforms that will;
- Meet the needs of Aboriginal Communities in New South Wales.
- Deliver culturally safe health care services to help Aboriginal people live healthy lives now, and in the future.
- Reflect the collective views of the ACCHO Sector and promote genuine partnerships.
- Achieve positive policy reform based on evidence developed by Aboriginal people and communities.
Policy Advisory Group Meetings
Our Policy Advisory Group meetings welcome Chief Executive Officers or delegates from their Service, to share their views on important policy issues impacting the Aboriginal Community Controlled Sector, provide feedback on current priorities and review policy submissions developed by our Policy Team.
2021 Meeting Dates
- 2:00pm – 4:30pm on the 17th of February 2021.
- 2:00pm – 4:30pm on the 17th of March 2021.
- 2:00pm – 4:30pm on the 21st of April 2021.
- 2:00pm – 430pm on the 19th of May 2021.
- 2:00pm – 4:30pm on the 16th of June 2021.
Have Your Say!
We regularly consult with ACCHOs in NSW to provide everyone with the opportunity to get involved with important policy matters for our Sector. All Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations in NSW are invited to provide feedback on upcoming policy submissions including:
Indigenous Voice – National Indigenous Australians Agency (NIAA)
- The NIAA has released its Indigenous Voice proposal which is made up of two parts, the Local and Regional Voices and a National Voice. The AH&MRC is preparing a response to the proposals and invites Members to share their views by contacting our Policy Team here.
- More information about the Indigenous Voice proposals is available here.
- Submissions close 31 March 2021.
NDIS Independent Assessors – National Disability Insurance Agency
- In November 2019, the Minister for the NDIS, Stuart Robert first discussed the introduction of NDIS Independent Assessments. The Parliament of Australia, through the Joint Standing Committee on the National Disability Insurance Scheme is conducting an Inquiry into Independent Assessments. AH&MRC’s Policy Team holds monthly Member Consultations to understand the Sector’s views for introducing NDIS Independent Assessments. If you have missed these sessions, please share your thoughts by contacting our Policy team here.
- More information on the Terms of Reference for the Inquiry is available here here.
- Submissions close 31 March 2021.
National Agreement on Closing the Gap
We represent the ACCHOs Sector on Closing the Gap negotiations and are proud to be part of the Coalition of Peaks. We stand with a group of nearly 50 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders organisations delivering services to our people.
The National Agreement sets out a new way of working together between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and Governments to Close the Gap. It aims to address the health inequities that still exist between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Australians and is the first time a National Agreement about First Nations people has been negotiated in partnership with First Nations people.
Read the full National Agreement on Closing the Gap here.
Share your policy thoughts or ask us a question.