Nicotine Replacement Therapy Program
Continuing the fight against tobacco
Smoking prevalence has reduced considerably in the last decade amongst Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia. However, in NSW smoking rates remain higher among Aboriginal people than non-Aboriginal, especially amongst pregnant women. To support the ongoing smoking cessation efforts of Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs) in NSW, the AH&MRC and Cancer Institute NSW are providing funding for Services to purchase Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) and offer it to their clients for free.
What is Nicotine Replacement Therapy?
Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) is an evidence-based, effective, and safe strategy to assist people to quit smoking. NRT comes in different forms including patches, gum, inhalers, and mouth sprays, and different dosages are available. NRT is most effective when offered together with counselling. People interested to start their quit journey can speak to their Aboriginal Health Worker or support worker about NRT and other smoking cessation options.
Are you thinking about quitting? You can make appointment at your local Aboriginal Medical Service to learn more about NRT. Find your nearest participating clinic and yarn with someone today.
What the NRT program offers
Working together with our Member Services, the Public Health Team has identified that providing access to a range of free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) options is a key enabler of smoking cessation efforts.
This program supports NSW Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations (ACCHOs) to hold smoking cessation interventions with current smokers and includes the provision of NRT for all participating ACCHOs and:
- Access to Smoking Cessation Brief Intervention Training
- AH&MRC support to host events and co-develop resources that promote a best practice approach to NRT data management
This program builds on the learnings of earlier NRT programs funded by the NSW Health Centre for Aboriginal Health (2018-19) and Cancer Institute NSW (2019-20).
Smoking Cessation Brief Intervention Training for health care workers
In partnership with NSW Health, the AH&MRC delivers Brief Intervention Training for clinical staff working in ACCHOs across NSW. Topics covered during the training session include;
- Motivating clients to stay quit
- Smoking and COVID-19
- Behavioural aspects and triggers
- Different types of NRT
- Smoking and stress
To attend the AH&MRC’s Brief Intervention Training please contact Marina at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you are interested in quitting smoking and would like to learn more about NRT, make an appointment at your local AMS.
- Aboriginal Medical Service Co-Operative Ltd Redfern
- Awabakal Newcastle Aboriginal Co-Operative Ltd
- Marrin Weejali Aboriginal Corporation
- Ngaimpe Aboriginal Corporation – The Glen Centre
- Tharawal Aboriginal Corporation
- Yerin Aboriginal Health Services Incorporation – Eleanor Duncan Aboriginal Health
- Armajun Health Service Aboriginal Corporation
- Biripi Aboriginal Corporation Medical Centre
- Bulgarr Ngaru Medical Aboriginal Corporation
- Bullinah Aboriginal Health Service
- Durri Aboriginal Corporation Medical Service
- Galambila Aboriginal Health Service Incorporated
- Namatjira Haven Drug & Alcohol Healing Centre
- Pius X Aboriginal Corporation
- Tamworth Aboriginal Medical Service Incorporated
- Tobwabba Aboriginal Medical Service Incorporated
- Walhallow Aboriginal Corporation
- Werin Aboriginal Corporation Medical Clinic
- Bourke Aboriginal Corporation Health
- Brewarrina Aboriginal Service Ltd
- Condobolin Aboriginal Health Service Ltd
- Coomealla Health Aboriginal Corporation
- Coonamble Aboriginal Health Service Incorporated
- Orana Haven Aboriginal Corporation
- Orange Aboriginal Health Service Incorporated
- Peak Hill Aboriginal Medical Service Incorporated
- Walgett Aboriginal Medical Service Co-Operative Limited
- Weigelli Centre Aboriginal Corporation
- Wellington Aboriginal Corporation Health
- Yoorana-Gunya Family Healing Centre Aboriginal Walgett Aboriginal Medical Service Co-Operative Limited
- Albury Wodonga Aboriginal Health Service Ltd
- Cummeragunja Housing & Development Aboriginal Corporation – Viney Morgan Clinic
- Griffith Aboriginal Medical Service Incorporated
- Illawarra Aboriginal Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation
- Katungul Aboriginal Corporation Regional Health and Community Services
- Murrin Bridge Aboriginal Health Service Incorporated
- Riverina Medical & Dental Aboriginal Corporation
- South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation
- The Oolong Aboriginal Corporation
- Waminda – South Coast Women’s Health & Welfare Aboriginal Corporation