Policy Officer – Closing the Gap (Aboriginal identified position)
Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council (AH&MRC) is dedicated to assisting Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHSs) across the four regions (Metropolitan, Northern, Southern and Western) of NSW to ensure they have access to an adequately resourced and skilled workforce enabling the ACCHSs to provide their local Aboriginal communities with holistic and culturally appropriate primary health care and Aboriginal health-related services.
Join our team of dynamic and innovative people who value and proudly play a meaningful role in Closing the Gap in Indigenous Health by delivering quality support and training to Aboriginal people and communities of NSW.
About the Role:
This role is an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Designated Role.
(Any non-Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander candidates will not be considered for this position).
AH&MRC is seeking a Policy Officer – Closing the Gap, who will be responsible for developing preliminary Closing the Gap Policy advice on complex and high-profile Closing the Gap Policy areas in the Aboriginal Community Controlled Health (ACCHS) Sector in New South Wales. The position will also oversee the research, information gathering and reporting relating the Closing the Gap Policy submissions.
- Developing timely advice, detailed briefings, resource materials, reports, correspondence and submissions on a range of complex Closing the Gap Policy issues.
- Undertaking research and policy development processes to influence Closing the Gap policy agenda.
- Developing and maintaining appropriate planning strategies for the effective oversight of Closing the Gap policy development and review processes.
- Maintaining a comprehensive understanding of issues affecting Aboriginal peoples in NSW.
- Communicating with internal and external stakeholders regarding key Closing the Gap policy issues.
- Undertake consultations with AH&MRC Member Services on program and project areas to inform Closing the Gap policy responses.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Certificate IV in Public Health, or related field.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience relevant work based experience specifically in Primary Health Care or Public Health.
- Experience in coordinating and managing the development and implementation of challenging and complex projects.
- Confirmation of Aboriginality (Essential).
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of the Closing the Gap Plan and initiatives related to Health and other social determinants.
- Ability to provide comprehensive support to the development and implementation of the Closing the Gap Plan.
- Demonstrated ability to work with community members and translate consultations into written material.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise and meet deadlines in a high demand work environment.
- Demonstrated skills in dealing with confidential and sensitive information in a professional manner.
- Ability to hold a National Police Check.
- Ability to travel state-wide to the NSW ACCHS’s on a regular basis.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to liaise, consult and negotiate with a diverse range of clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships within the local community, internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to demonstrate empathy when required.
- Experience working with relevant agencies, non-government organisations, community groups and medical professionals at all levels.
- Current valid Driver’s Licence.
What AH&MRC can offer you:
Salary Packaging options are available as a Not-For-Profit Organisation, as well as Meals & Entertainment and Leisure & lifestyle Cards.
Remuneration: The successful candidate will receive an annual remuneration of $90,000 gross per annum, plus Superannuation.
Paid Study Leave: Employees are entitled to Paid Study Leave for approved courses relevant to their role.
If this interests you,
Please apply via seek with a current resume and a cover letter addressing the Qualifications, Experience and Requirements. Only Seek applications will be considered.
Would you like more information?
For more information contact the HR Department on email@example.com.
Note: Position advertisement will remain available on Seek until the position is filled and we reserve the right to commence the recruitment process during the advertisement period.
This is a designated Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander position under section 14D of the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act 1977. Proof or Confirmation of Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander heritage will be required from the successful applicant.