Health Educator – Nowra, Wollongong, Illawarra & South Coast NSW (Aboriginal identified position)
Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council (AH&MRC) is dedicated to assisting Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHSs) across the four regions (Metropolitan, Northern, Southern and Western) of NSW to ensure they have access to an adequately resourced and skilled workforce enabling the ACCHSs to provide their local Aboriginal communities with holistic and culturally appropriate primary health care and Aboriginal health-related services.
Join our team of dynamic and innovative people who value and proudly play a meaningful role in Closing the Gap in Indigenous Health by delivering quality support and training to Aboriginal people and communities of NSW.
About the Role:
This role is situated within our Southern Region of NSW. The successful candidate will be able to work remotely when not facilitating the Program within Southern local schools.
AH&MRC is seeking Health Educators, who will be directly reporting to the Regional Health Education Coordinator and will be responsible for the facilitation of the Our Healthy Kids Program within local schools to assist with Closing the Gap in health status for Aboriginal children. The role will also include working collaboratively with the local Aboriginal Medical Services and the families and children to initiate Aboriginal Children’s screening for the benefits of early detection and prevention of ear disease, oral health issues as well as eye screening.
- In collaboration with the team, design the Our Healthy Kids Program.
- Assist children with having their initial health checks completed within their local Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHS) to identify baseline at the commencement of the program.
- Facilitate the Our Healthy Kids 10 week Program within the school setting delivering health education for specific fields including nutrition, physical activity, mental health, connection to Country, drug and alcohol, bullying, use of social media, sexual health, healthy hygiene and respectful relationships.
- Support the Aboriginal Health Practitioner Trainee’s during their Aboriginal Health Practitioner Traineeship.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum Certificate III in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Primary Health, Public Health, Education or Aboriginal Studies.
- Obtain a Certificate IV in Training & Assessment (TAE40122) within first 12 months of employment.
- Previous experience working with Aboriginal people and communities.
- Previous experience working with young/vulnerable people.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and experience in Aboriginal health issues or Health education and/or promotion.
- Experience in the facilitation of a program.
- Confirmation of Aboriginality (Essential).
- Sound knowledge in community health, public health and Aboriginal health.
- Experience working with health service agencies, non-government organisations, community groups and medical professionals at all levels.
- Ability to travel state-wide to local schools and Aboriginal Medical Services.
- Ability to hold a National Police Check and current Working with Children Check.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to liaise, consult and negotiate with a diverse range of clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with parents/caregivers, children and other relevant stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to work flexibly within tight time schedules and in accordance with variable workload demands.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to demonstrate empathy when required.
- Current valid Driver’s Licence.
- Previous experience working with an Aboriginal Health environment.
- Previous experience working within a Health environment.
What AH&MRC can offer you:
Salary Packaging options are available as a Not-For-Profit Organisation, as well as Meals & Entertainment and Leisure & lifestyle Cards.
Remuneration: The successful candidate will receive an annual remuneration of $90,000 gross per annum, plus Superannuation.
Paid Study Leave: Employees are entitled to Paid Study Leave for approved courses relevant to their role.
If this interests you,
Please apply via seek with a current resume and a cover letter addressing the Qualifications, Experience and Requirements. Only Seek applications will be considered.
Would you like more information?
For more information contact the HR Department on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Position advertisement will remain available on Seek until the position is filled and we reserve the right to commence the recruitment process during the advertisement period.
This is a designated Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander position under section 14D of the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act 1977. Proof or Confirmation of Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander heritage will be required from the successful applicant.