Ethics Committee Members – Voluntary Positions
The AH&MRC is seeking new members to join the Human Research Ethics Committee. You would be joining Aboriginal people from a range of professions and backgrounds who are passionate about ethical research. The Ethics Committee reviews research affecting the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal people in NSW to ensure it is ethical and culturally appropriate.
We are seeking Aboriginal Committee Members who fit into the below categories:
- Lay Community Member: A Community member with no affiliation with AH&MRC and who does not currently engage in medical, scientific, legal or academic work. Who is apart of a Aboriginal community controlled service. For this position a support letter from an Aboriginal community controlled service must be provided.
- Youth: A person aged between 18-25 that is an active community member with an interest in health research.
Please note: All positions are unpaid and on a volunteer basis. While these positions are voluntary, they will take additional time out of your schedule. Please ensure you have the capacity to be part of our Committee before applying.
Why should you join?
Our Committee are gatekeepers who ensure research projects represent the views and interests of Aboriginal people across NSW. By being part of the committee, you too can affect change and ensure research positively impacts Aboriginal Communities.
What is involved?
- Attend meetings (every six weeks), in person or online.
- Read and review research proposals.
- Provide feedback to the Committee to help ensure that research in NSW is ethical and culturally appropriate.
- Access to a computer and internet is required because applications are reviewed online and the Committee frequently communicate via email.
Travel and Accommodation:
The AH&MRC will cover the travel and accommodation costs to attend Ethics Committee meetings.
I don’t have any experience in research ethics, does that matter?
We will provide support and training on the guidelines and processes.
We also provide regular training opportunities to help upskill our Committee.
For more information on Ethics Committee recruitment, please see our Standard Operating Procedures.
If you have any further questions please contact email@example.com or phone 02 9212 4777.