Aboriginal Health Practitioner Trainee (Aboriginal Identified position)
Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council (AH&MRC) is dedicated to assisting Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHSs) across the four regions (Metropolitan, Northern, Southern and Western) of NSW to ensure they have access to an adequately resourced and skilled workforce enabling the ACCHSs to provide their local Aboriginal communities with holistic and culturally appropriate primary health care and Aboriginal health-related services.
Join our team of dynamic and innovative people who value and proudly play a meaningful role in Closing the Gap in Indigenous Health by delivering quality support and training to Aboriginal people and communities of NSW.
About the Role:
This role is a Fixed Term Contract for a period of 18months.
This role is situated within our Western Region of NSW and the main office will be based at Bila Muuji Aboriginal Corporation Health Service.
AH&MRC is seeking an Aboriginal Health Practitioner Trainee, who will be directly reporting to the Regional Coordinator and will be responsible for the facilitation of the Our Health Kids Program within local schools to assist with closing the gap in health status for Aboriginal Children. The role will also include working with the local Aboriginal Medical Services to screen for the benefits of early detection and prevention of ear disease, oral health issues as well as eye screening.
- Complete a Certificate IV in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Primary Health Practice.
- Conduct initial health checks of children to identify baseline at the commencement of the program.
- Provide follow up care during and after the program to assist with accessing appropriate services for health issues identified during initial screening.
- Facilitate the Our Healthy Kids 10 week Program within the school setting delivering health education for specific fields including nutrition, physical activity, mental health, connection to Country, drug and alcohol, bullying, use of social media, sexual health, healthy hygiene and respectful relationships.
- Development of skills within clinical setting to deliver clinical care, conduct patient screening, assisting with care plans and providing patients with education resources on health issues as required.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Willingness to complete a Certificate IV in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Primary Health Practice.
- Demonstrated interest in working within Aboriginal Medical Services to provide education and clinical care to Aboriginal communities.
- Interest and/or previous experience in facilitating training programs to educate people on the importance of health.
- Confirmation of Aboriginality.
- Interest in community health, public health and Aboriginal health.
- Ability to travel state-wide to local schools and Aboriginal Medical Services.
- Ability to hold a National Police Check and current Working with Children Check.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to liaise, consult and negotiate with a diverse range of clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to work flexibly within tight time schedules and in accordance with variable workload demands.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to demonstrate empathy when required.
- Previous experience working with an Aboriginal Health environment.
- Previous experience working within a Health environment.
- Current valid Driver’s Licence.
What AH&MRC can offer you:
Salary Packaging options are available as a Not-For-Profit Organisation, as well as Meals & Entertainment and Leisure & lifestyle Cards.
Remuneration: The successful candidate will receive an annual remuneration of $60,000 gross per annum, plus 10.5% Superannuation.
Paid Study Leave: Employees are entitled to Paid Study Leave for approved courses relevant to their role.
If this interests you,
Please apply via seek with a current resume and a cover letter addressing the Qualifications, Experience and Requirements. Only Seek applications will be considered.
Would you like more information?
For more information contact the HR Department on email@example.com.
Note: Position advertisement will remain available on Seek until the position is filled and we reserve the right to commence the recruitment process during the advertisement period.
This is a designated Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander position under section 14D of the NSW Anti-Discrimination Act 1977. Proof or Confirmation of Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander heritage will be required from the successful applicant.
Applications close on 31/03/2023.Apply Now