‘Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health is viewed in a holistic context that encompasses mental health, and physical, cultural and spiritual health…’
Mental health care is an important element of holistic health for Aboriginal Peoples.
The AH&MRC has a State Co-ordinator for Aboriginal Mental Health to advise and represent the AH&MRC, Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services and the NSW Aboriginal Health Partnership on issues related to mental health and social and emotional wellbeing of Aboriginal people in NSW.
These activities include, but are not limited to:
- Participating in numerous committees and engages in partnerships
- Consulting where possible with ACCHOs to feedback to policy and frameworks
- Assisting in the planning of a yearly Aboriginal Mental Health Workers Forum
- Support of the workforce in their mental health program implementation and strengthening their regional networks and partnerships
- Support for workers to receive culturally appropriate supervision and reflective practice
The AH&MC has an MoU with the NSW Mental Health Commission and the NSW Mental Health Association, and works works collaboratively with the Mental Health Branch of NSW Health.
Mental Health Association: https://wayahead.org.au
Mental Health Commission: http://nswmentalhealthcommission.com.au